It’s nice to have options when it comes to your home. Often, you’ll have multiple types of windows throughout your home — maybe even multiple window styles in the same room. One popular window style is the slider window. A wide, horizontal window with a sliding track, this can suit multiple home decor styles and rooms. In today’s blog, we’ll break down everything you need to know about slider windows and why they might be the right choice for your Ashton, IL home.
What Are Slider Windows?
In many ways, slider windows function like sliding glass doors, but in window form. They are typically wider than they are tall, with two or more sashes that run from side to side along a track. Sometimes one sash is operable, while other times, all sashes are operable. Although they have a sleek mid-century modern look now, sliding windows have been around in some form since the 19th century or before, making them a good choice for either a classic or modern home.
Where To Install Slider Windows In Your Ashton, IL Home
Slider windows offer expansive outdoor views and plenty of sunlight, making them a lovely addition to most rooms. You might see them most often over a kitchen sink, but they also make excellent bedroom or living room windows. Here are some room characteristics that can benefit from slider windows:
- Rooms with low ceilings. No one wants to feel boxed in or trapped. Slider windows can help to make a room feel more expansive. If it can’t be taller, it can at least seem wider.
- Small rooms. Because of the wide views, slider windows can give the illusion of space to a small room.
- Rooms with little ventilation. If your AC doesn’t quite reach a particular room, consider installing a slider window to let in some fresh air. They’re easy to operate and easy to ventilate.
- Large rooms. In a large room, a slider window creates an airy, open feeling that can be appealing, especially if you want to combine indoor and outdoor living.
Slider windows are seen less often in bathrooms because they’re so large, but they can be perfect for rooms with little ventilation as the list above references. The key is to ensure that you have enough privacy through the use of window treatments or possibly the height at which the window is installed.
Benefits Of Slider Windows
So now you can understand what slider windows are and where they might benefit your home. The question is whether they are the right choice for your home. Ultimately, this comes down to personal preference and needs; but slider windows offer several unique benefits. Some of our favorites include:
- Low Maintenance. Don’t have time to dedicate to intensive window maintenance? The design for slider windows is simple, involving fewer parts than other windows, which makes it easy to maintain. You can easily clean these windows every once and a while and otherwise leave them to themselves.
- Easy Operation. With sashes that run on a track, these windows simply flow. They’re easy to open and close, easy to lock, and even enjoyable to operate overall.
- Expansive, Unobstructed Views. Slider windows are large, wide, and often offer unobstructed views. If you want to watch the kids play outside or if you have a great backyard that you want to take in from inside, slider windows are the way to go.
- Energy Efficiency. These windows remain fully encased in their frame for maximum insulation and energy efficiency. In addition, the easy ventilation can help you save on your AC during the summer, and with so much light pouring into the room, you might not need to rely as much on electric lighting.
- Beauty. Finally, slider windows are stunning. They can add a sleek touch to a classic design or enhance a modern home. They work well with just about any window treatment. If you want windows that enhance the beauty of your home, go with slider windows.
So, are slider windows the right choice for your home? Whether you’re looking for sliders or another popular window style, Mainstream Home Improvements can help. Contact us today to learn more about our windows or to schedule a free estimate.